Explore the heart of your community through "man-on-the-street" interviews.
In your community, what's the one place where you always run into people you know? The general store? School? A cafe? The park?
- Go to this special place and using the broadcast news technique of "man-on-the-street" interviews, stop 5-7 people as they come and go and ask if you can interview them briefly (remember to bring notepad and pen and/or audio recorder).
- Tell them that you're doing a story on the "heart of the community," that you think this is it -- do they agree? If so, why? If not, where do they think the heart is?
- If you don't know the people you're interviewing, ask for their names.
- Ask them to describe what they mean when they think of "the heart" of the community.
- Record their answers and create a short audio story about your town's heart, using the clips from your interviews.
- Upload the finished version to your YWP blog. The best will be published in The Voice.
(Photo credit: YWP Photo Library, photo by Susan Reid, 2014)