Help your students write more, and better
About YWP Schools Project
"I can't imagine teaching writing without the YWP Schools Project platform." -- Elise Foxall, Lyme Town School
For 12 years, Young Writers Project (YWP) -- a small nonprofit in Vermont -- has worked with 2,000 teachers to help them teach writing to their students. In that same time, YWP has connected with 110,000 young people -- in school and outside of school -- to help them find voice, gain communication skills and grow. YWP knows what it's doing.
We now have an all-new digital writing platform -- first developed in 2007 -- that has been proven to help teachers extend their curriculum and spark students to write more, hone their critical thinking, give each other feedback and revise their work -- naturally. Teachers have the freedom to create their own "challenges" (prompts) and "workshops" (projects), publicly comment on and/or privately annotate on student work, track commenting and changes students make to their work. And the sites are designed to incorporate digital media -- and even has a unique feature allowing users to speak and record their posts and/or comments.
Independent assessments of YWP's platform over the years, as well as observation, teacher analysis and student feedback show that students using the platform gain:
- a greater appreciation for writing -- even among those reluctant writers.
- a greater understanding of and respect for each other; and
- improved writing and critical thinking skills.
Additionally, teachers say the platform allows them to:
- extend what they can do with their students,
- get students to do more writing, and
- provide a powerful way for students to learn how to improve their writing.
This is a robust, fast and easy-to-use platform that is offered at a nominal cost ($250 annually) to selected teachers who have a vision to help students develop and gain enthusiasm for their own ideas, revise and improve their work and increase their confidence. What you get:
- YWP will quickly build you your own personal -- and private (only your students and you can see the content) -- classroom website.
- We will create accounts for your students.
- We will provide you as much, or as little, training and support as you need through email, video-conferences and phone calls. For a bit more -- mostly to cover our time and travel -- we can come to your classroom.
- You will have access to the writing challenges and resources here and on https://youngwritersproject.org and you can easily export the content to your site and edit as you see fit.
Leading this service is Geoffrey Gevalt, an award-winning writer and editor and founder of Young Writers Project.
Why wait? Explore this site and see what you think.
Contact YWP soon to talk to us about setting up a site for you to use in your classroom.